Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Faith!

SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY:
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen!
Hebrews 11:1

MY PROFESSION: Chemist
MY PROFESSION (at heart): Fiction Writer

I’ve always looked at my chosen profession as sort of a means to an end. As a young girl, I never had the courage to step out and do what I wanted to do, as opposed to what was smart for me to do.

My current journey/struggle in life is my ongoing search for an agent. I first began writing back in 2005/6 while I was in graduate school. It was my first crack at writing so I put my all into it, not knowing that it actually required more than putting your thoughts on paper in a haphazard kind of way. My novel had no story arc, the characters were all the same person (shaking my head at the memory), and it was just plain BAD. The queries I sent off to agents got lots of attention, but the fulls and partials I sent failed to impress. From there, I got discouraged and decided to push forward to finish school and get my head out of the clouds.

Fast forward, two years and I picked up a book by a girl I remembered on the blueboards. It inspired me to take another look at my first draft and all the rejections I received. I took the advice of the comments some of the agents made and I basically threw out the novel. I kept some of the names, but created a much better plot (as in I actually had a plot).
Now, I’m 30 and I’ve just plum decided that I am not wasting anymore time getting to what it is that I really want. I’am going for the whole nine, this time (yeah, I coulda been a rapper, but no use cryin’ over spilled milk).
What I want is to be a creator. I may not be a good writer, the jury is still out on that, but I’m okay with that. I don’t mind being mediocre at it. I will strive to do my absolute best and if that ends up as “You ah-ight” on the scale of “You suck” and “Dang, girl, you’re the next Nora Roberts!”, then it is what it is.

I have faith that whatever the Lord has for me is for me.

Wish me luck!

No comments: