Friday, January 30, 2009

Inaugural Events

I know I'm a little behind in my reporting (as always), but better late than never.

Just in case you're wondering...The inauguration was fantastic! We had purple tickets and by our estimates, we were about 100 yards from the action. There were 1000's of people with purple (and blue) tix who never got in at all and were trapped in the 'tunnel of doom'. We would have been one of those people, but divine providence gave us the notion to move from where we were and trek over towards a large mass of people. It was like rats packed in a drain or something. You move an inch, you stop for twenty minutes, you move two inches...whoa, there's the gate opening! We were lucky (another shout out to Congressman Duncan!! Whoo Hoo, go Tennessee!!).
We had a great time in our Nation's capitol. It struck me as ironic, when we stood in front of the Capitol building, that slaves built it and now a man of African descent (with his black family) will occupy it. Finally! If only Frederick Douglass, Harriett Tubman and MLK, Jr. could have seen it. So many people died for this country to get where it is today. I am in the middle of the Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass and I am quite moved by the idea that he witnessed History from his place in Heaven.

Here are the pics. At the time, all we could see was the fourth picture (the Capitol plus lots of people), but in the pics I can actually see Michelle Obama's outfit as he takes the oath. I had to zoom my camera a bit to get these shots.


Now this is from back in October 2008...

This picture is on my desktop at work. I live in the heart of a major Republican state, so I can only imagine how this photo might grate on their nerves. *insert evil witch cackle here*

No comments: